- This event has passed.
Trademark Basics – What Every Small Business Should Know Now, Not Later
Thursday, September 15 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
Are you a small business owner or entrepreneur interested in learning about trademarks and how to apply for a federal registration? Join USPTO trademark advising attorney Jason Lott for a discussion about what all entrepreneurs, small businesses, and start-ups should know about trademarks.
- Difference between trademark, patent, copyright, domain name, and business name.
- Key to creating a protectable trademark
- Importance of a comprehensive trademark search
- Registering your trademark with the USPTO
- How to get free and reduced-price legal assistance
- Benefits of federal trademark registration
- How trademarks, copyrights, patents, domain names, and business name registrations all differ
- The benefits of federal trademark registration
- Why it is important for any new business to select a trademark that will be both federally registrable and legally protectable
- Critical factors to consider when choosing a mark
- The importance of doing a complete search and whether an attorney should be used
- The USPTO’s role in the federal registration process
- How to get free and reduced-price legal help when applying for registration
Speaker(s): Lou Farina SBDC, : Jason Lott, Attorney Advisor for Trademark Educational Outreach, United States Patent and Trademark Office